Obama to Begin Peace Talks with Taliban; Drops Rejection of Al Qaeda as Precondition

Via the Guardian:

The US will begin direct peace talks with Taliban leaders over the future of Afghanistan within days, it was revealed on Tuesday, after Washington agreed to drop a series of preconditions that have previously held back negotiations.

In a major milestone in the 12-year-old war, political representatives of Mullah Omar will shortly meet US officials in Doha to discuss an agenda for “peace and reconciliation” before further talks take place with Afghan government representatives soon after.

Senior US administration officials speaking on background said they believed the Taliban had agreed to issue a statement committing itself to “oppose the use of Afghan soil to threaten other countries” – an important first step to severing ties with al-Qaida, according to Washington. The Taliban confirmed on Tuesday that it was opening an office in Doha, and was expected to make a fuller statement later.

The US has agreed that a formal rejection of al-Qaida by the Taliban leadership would now be a “negotiating aim” rather than a precondition for talks. It will also seek a commitment from the Taliban to end its insurgency in Afghanistan and recognise women’s rights in the country.

“This is an important first step but it will be a long road,” said one senior US official. “We have long said this conflict won’t be won on the battlefield which is why we support the opening of this [Doha] office.”

White House officials say they believe the Taliban political council that will lead the talks represents the movement’s leader, Mullah Omar, and includes more radical groups such as the Haqqani network. Officials said the would have a direct role in direct talks starting starting this week in Doha, but the process would then be led by the Afghan government.

“The core of this process is not going to be US/Taliban discussions – we can help the process – but the core is going to be among Afghans,” added the US official. “The level of trust is extremely low so this is not going to be easy.”

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed the group was opening an office in Qatar on Tuesday, with five objectives, which included “discussion and dialogue with any group or organisation who works for peace and ending the foreign occupation of Afghanistan”.

The office has been on the table since 2011, and several senior Taliban figures have been living in the gulf state for many months now, but the group had not publicly embraced plans for peace talks.

In Kabul, Afghan president Hamid Karzai said a High Peace Council will travel to Qatar to discuss peace talks with the Taliban. “We hope that our brothers the Taliban also understand that the process will move to our country soon,” he added, although US officials stressed that moving talks to Afghanistan would take time.

Karzai also announced that Afghan forces would begin taking the lead from the Americans on domestic security on Tuesday, with a complete security transition by the end of next year when US forces are due to pull out.

Barack Obama is understood to have informed G8 leaders of the breakthrough at a dinner at the Northern Ireland summit on Monday night.

The deal on talks with the Taliban was partly brokered by Pakistan and emir of Qatar after “months of diplomatic spadework” also involving Germany, Norway and the UK. In 2011, Hillary Clinton suggested that Taliban leaders would have to renounce violence for a peace process to work.

“Over the past two years, we have laid out our unambiguous red lines for reconciliation with the insurgents: They must renounce violence; they must abandon their alliance with al-Qaida; and they must abide by the constitution of Afghanistan,” she said. “Those are necessary outcomes of any negotiation. This is the price for reaching a political resolution and bringing an end to the military actions that are targeting their leadership and decimating their ranks.”

But on Tuesday, that position appeared to have soften somewhat. “We don’t expect them to break ties with al-Qaida [immediately],” said one of the US officials speaking on an off-the-record conference call. “That is an outcome of the process.” He said the expected Taliban statement opposing the use of Afghan soil for foreign attacks was “a first step in distancing them from international terrorism”.

The news comes on the day Nato handed formal responsibility for Afghan security to the country’s own troops and police, although foreign soldiers are still fighting in many areas. The Taliban have long demanded that foreign troops leave as a precondition to talks.

Afghan president Hamid Karzai, who has always said he would prefer talks to take place in Afghanistan, was initially lukewarm about the Qatar plans, but has visited the state twice this year, apparently paving the way for today’s breakthrough.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s